Partner Brian Devine's practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions and borrowers, with a particular emphasis on maritime related assets.
Brian, who is a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, counsels clients in the United States and internationally in areas such as: finance and security arrangements; insolvency matters; mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; debt and equity offerings; sale and purchase; international commercial transactions and disputes; and corporate governance and structure.
Brian's representative experience in ship finance and corporate matters includes representing international (such as Republic of the Marshall Islands and Liberian) and domestic financial institutions and vessel owners in the acquisition, finance, registration, enforcement, joint venture, offering and other transactional documents as well as the formation, restructuring and mergers of offshore and domestic entities. He has also handled matters involving international taxation and commercial litigation; general commercial litigation and bankruptcy; and administrative law.
JD, University of Houston Law Center, 1997
BS, Political Science, University of Scranton, 1995
BA, History, University of Scranton, 1995
- Counsel to bank on the financing of a cruise ship to be built by the Ulstein Group (based in Norway) for US-listed Lindblad Expeditions.
- Counsel to banks on the US$280 million refinancing of Eagle Bulk Shipping's fleet of vessels.
- Counsel to a syndicate of banks on a New York law Korean ECA-backed US$760 million facility to finance a fleet of eighteen newly constructed vessels.
- Counsel to a syndicate of banks in connection with a US$230,950,000 credit facility to refinance the company's existing credit facility and Norwegian bonds.
- Counsel to bank with respect to New York and Marshall Islands law Spanish ECA-backed two vessel construction and financing.
- Advising banks in relation to restructuring of various shipping companies.
- Counsel to US fund in New York and Marshall Islands law matters in relation to the formation of multiple joint venture-owning entities for the acquisition and financing of a newly built and second hand vessels.
- Counsel to bank on New York law US$35 million loan transaction to finance vessels.
- Counsel to US fund on $100+ million series of vessel financings.
- Represented the unsecured creditors committee in a U.S. Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a shipping company.
- Marshall Islands
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global, Liberia: Shipping, Chambers & Partners, 2014-2018
- Chambers Global, USA: Shipping (Foreign Expert), Chambers & Partners, 2014-2018
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Transportation: Shipping: Finance, Chambers & Partners, 2013, 2017 - 2018
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Industry focus - Transport: shipping - finance, The Legal 500, 2018
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Asset Financing & Leasing, The Legal 500, 2014-2017
- Expert Guides, Shipping, Legal Media Group, 2017
- The Irish Legal 100, Irish Voice, 2015
- Who's Who Legal, Transport - Shipping, 2016
Memberships and activities
- Member, Maritime Law Association of the United States
- New York Maritime (NYMAR)
- Director (2010 - present)
- Hellenic American Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman (2018 - present)
- President (2016 - 2018)
- Executive VP (2015 - 2016)
- Director (2008 - 2015)
- Annual Joint Shipping Conference with Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Chair (2010 - present)
- Vice President
The sector is experiencing rapid and sweeping changes, driven largely by the development of new technology, new market entrants offering alternative modes of transport, and growing urban populations putting existing services under pressure..
May 19, 2017
Hanjin Shipping Co, one of the world's largest cargo shipping companies....
September 16, 2016
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Gener8 Maritime Inc on its merger with Euronav NV. Gener8 will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Euronav..
June 15, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright received the i-law Maritime Law Award at the 2018 Lloyd’s List Americas Awards gala on May 23, 2018, in Houston. .
May 25, 2018