Luis Carlos Neira has had a long and distinguished career and has extensive experience in providing legal advice to public and private entities, specializing in corporate law, with an emphasis on corporate law, banking law, administrative law, foreign investment, air and maritime law, telecommunications, energy and petroleum law.
Mr. Neira joined our Bogotá office in January 2013. He was previously managing partner of a prestigious law firm in Colombia, established in 1960, which he joined as an associate in 1976, becoming a partner in 1980 and assuming the position of managing partner in 2002.
He has worked on many M&A and infrastructure projects and in the capital markets he has participated in Rule 144-A bond issues by Bavaria S.A., Occel S.A. and Termoemcali S.A. E.S.P. Successful corporate restructuring projects in which Mr. Neira has participated include that of Papeles Nacionales S.A. (a Kruger Group company) and Empresas Municipales de Cali EICE – EMCALI.
Mr. Neira also has substantial experience in securities law, having advised exchange-traded companies (Occel S.A., Bavaria S.A., Industrias Estra S.A., Transportadora de Gas Internacional S.A. E.S.P. and Papeles Nacionales S.A.) and collaborated in the issue of fairness opinions for M&A transactions of financial sector institutions.
LL.M., Corporate Law, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, 2005
Law degree, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, 1977
Mr. Neira’s recent client work includes:
- The capitalization of Transportadora de Gas Internacional S.A. E.S.P. by Citi Venture Capital International
- The 2,500 MW BOOMT project of Hidroeléctrica de Hituango for Empresas Públicas de Medellín S.A. E.S.P.
- The Mountain Highways (Autopistas de la Montaña) project for Interconexión Eléctrica S.A. E.S.P.
- The funding of the purchase by San Antonio International of oil assets in several Latin American countries
- Mexichem’s financing of the purchase of several Amanco assets in different Latin American countries
- PetroTiger’s financing of its purchase of assets in Colombia
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015: Banking & Finance (Band 2 – Colombia) and Corporate/M&A (Band 3 – Colombia)
- Chambers Latin America, Colombia 2015: Band 2: Banking & Finance and Projects
- Chambers Latin America, Colombia 2015: Band 4: Corporate/M&A
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013: Banking & Finance and Corporate/M&A
- “El Gobierno Corporativo en las Entidades Públicas Colombianas” (including a review of the OECD Guidelines on Corporate Governance of State-owned Enterprises), Corporate Governance panel, Hemispheric Trade Conference sponsored by the Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, 2006.
Memberships and activities
- Interamerican Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society (founder of LES Colombia – Ecuador)
- International Bar Association
- Asociación de Agentes Marítimos (ASONAV), Executive Secretary (1988-1991)
- Professor of Administrative Law, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá, 2004-2006
- Professor of Business Law, Universidad Militar, Bogotá, 1980-1982
- Active Contributor to Doing Business, a publication of the IFC/World Bank
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright, working in partnership with Global Infrastructure Hub (GI Hub), has rolled out the second series of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Risk Allocation workshops, which has provided training sessions to over 100 government officials from 22 countries in Singapore, Bangkok, Tanzania and Colombia..
November 22, 2017
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce that the IFLR1000 2015 highlighted Latin American members in practice areas and top lawyers categories for 2015. .
July 13, 2015